May 17, 2010

☼ Z'EV - 50 Gates MC [March 2008 re-post]


In the summer of 1984, I was enmeshed in perhaps my most intense sound sculpting project, the construction of the '50 Gates.' It began as a set to perform as aduet with Tim Wright, but by the time it had been finished, that idea had passed on. To honor that, I dissembled and retransformed the elements: PVC tubing in all sorts of colors and sizes, capped with heads of animal skin. This reversed the conventional paradigm of Western drums, organic shell (wood) and inorganic head (plastic). Much of the tubing was disused sewer line, providing 'animal magnetism' as Tim Wright would say, adding another edge to its dynamics. The transformed elements were then used on the Night of the Dead, 1 Nov 1984 at NL Centrum. The recording that was released, however, came from the next day. I left almost all of the elements at NL Centrum and never saw them again, though on one occasion, I was on the streets for the Queen's Day celebration in NL and saw someone playing one of the heads. I introduced myself as the maker of the drum and she thanked me, saying that she had a good time with it. There was also a sheet of stainless steel used in the recording, tuned by me, and later stolen by SPK for use on their European tour that year. World Percussion used Korean, Jamaican, South Indian, Senegalese and Brazilian selections that I encountered on radio, in performance, through hands etc., and were mostly listed as 'unidentified-drumming.' This pressing of '50 Gates' is b/w The First 30 Minutes: a recording of the original sculpture, though it was only of the high to mid-range drums. This begins another process piece, and any further pressings will rotate sonic information from there. ~ Z'EV

Год: 1984
Страна: USA
Лейбл: Staalplaat

Содержание:
01. NL-Centrum Amsterdam 5-11-84 (26:13)
02. First Thirty Minutes (25:52)

Скачать: HERE

No comments: